Our main case is out of Florida, John Doe vs. Swearingen. It’s an ex post facto challenge. The plaintiffs, whose offenses predate the 1997 Florida registry, currently must follow registration rules from the 2018 amendments to Florida’s registry laws. The court ruled against the plaintiffs, who appealed the ruling. The appeals court ruled in their favor, which means they will have another opportunity to present their case.
However, their victory might be short-lived because Florida is in the 11th District. Recent rulings in the 11st District have not been favorable to PFRs, and the 11th district is bound by precedent.
We also discuss a Halloween Law Enforcement Sweep in Florida and what law enforcement agencies need to do to justify the sweeps. Mississippi Public Defenders are underfunded, and we discuss how the disparity in public defender pay affects those they have to defend. A case in Texas about why an individual who does not commit a sexual offense can still land on the registry. We close out the podcast talking about the challenges incarcerated military vets face when they leave the prison system.
RM242—Doe vs. Swearingen: A Victory in Florida?
Our main case is out of Florida, John Doe vs. Swearingen.
[01:34] John Doe versus Richard L. Swearengen.
[26:30] Halloween Law Enforcement Sweep in Florida
[32:45] Public Defender Funding in Mississippi
[39:46] Texas man put on registry even though he didn’t commit a sexual offense
[46:47] Military Veterans and the Challenges They Face Reintegrating Into Society
How to Contact and Listen to Registry Matters
- Leave voicemail: 747-227-4477
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/registrymatters
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RegistryMatters
- Join the Discord server: https://discord.gg/6FnxwAQm57
- Want to support Registry Matters with some swag: https://shop.spreadshirt.com/registry-matters
- Apple Podcasts: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/registry-matters/id1305039280
- Google Play Music: https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/Icuxbpzvyti7wtoredipbtiojqy
- RSS: https://www.registrymatters.co/feed/podcast/
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3d75P7Kc37n2l79m89F9KI
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/registrymatters
The Registry Matters Podcast’s mission is to cover issues surrounding the Registry. We cover cases that will peel back the veneer of what we need to do to change our lives for the better. We cover news articles that spark conversations about the total insanity of this modern day witch hunt. This podcast will call out bad policy and call out those that are making bad policy.
To change things for the positive, we need to act. We are 6-7-8-900k strong. With that many people, plus their friends and family, over a million people are affected by the registry. We should be able to secure donations to hire lawyers and lobbyists to move the agenda in our favor. We need our people to be represented.